Monday 3 January 2011

Great German Christmas

Last week I went to Germany to have the time of my life with my friend in there. Yes, it was nicer than I had expected, except the fact that I had got some problem with my flight from the first time and it took almost 15 hour the journey from Madrid to Bochum (If I hadn't got any problem I would arrive in 2 hour and half).
Long story short, when I was drinking coffee reading a newspaper at the departure lounge in the Barajas airport,  I heard that my flight to Dusseldorf had canceled by the snowstorm. It wasn't the first time that I got problem in Madrid airport so I went out with composure to ask someone who might have got any solution. There was long line in front of the office due to three flights had canceled (to London, to Brussels and to Dusseldorf), even some girls were crying because we were in the 24th December, and if you got lost the flight you would have to wait til the 26th. 

Anyway, I was lucky. There were 4 seat for the flight to Frankfurt which had been canceled, they gave me the ticket to Frankfurt and explained me that there would be a train station at the Frankfurt airport where I could directly get a train to Dusseldorf. It was bit attractive offer for me at the moment, because I didn't have any other option. If I couldn't go to Germany, I had to stay at the airport until 26th December, there was no transportation to go back to Bilbao. So I started to run to the gate so as not to bump the flight, then when I arrived there there was no airplane. I thought that I had missed it but I didn't. The flight delayed almost 4 hours!

Luckily, I met some people who were in the same situation as mine, we waited patiently together. And finally the flight arrived so we rode in the airplane. Since then the tragedy started. Suddenly I had fever and cough, I was almost dead on the plane. Besides, when we arrived at the Frankfurt airport, we realized that we were 2 hours far from the 'real' Frankfurt. There was no train station, even no airport limousine. The guys who I'd met at the Barajas disappeared since we arrived so I was alone in the snowstorm wearing just leather jacket. Again, luckily, I found a bus which was going to 'real' Frankfurt, as there was no way to arrive to my destination I took it. On the bus, I was shivering so hard by fever and the biting cold, trying not to faint. After two hours I finally arrived at the Frankfurt Main Station and narrowly took the last train. According to the itinerary it had take just 2 hours to Bochum where my friend lives, but the truth is, it took almost 4 hours. Nevertheless I think I was lucky that I could arrive to Bochum in the blizzard. 

Anyway from the next day (it was Christmas) I started to be sick, couldn't eat anything even couldn't sleep by fever. Everytime I tried to sleep I got horrible nightmare. At the final of my journey, my friend and her mother also got sick, so we were lying on the sofa together doing nothing the last two days. It was pity that we could enjoy the Christmas more, but I was okay just to be with them. I met some of their family and all of them were so nice and lovely. 






Now I see those pics and miss the snow.. the snow-filled landscape. It was nice experience. I won't forget my 2010 Christmas ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment